Reflections for myself and you if you are randomly interested...



Sunday, September 12, 2010

Women, Men, Money and Divorce

I just read about a study in Time Newsfeed that found women who earn 60% of the household income were almost 40% more likely to get divorced than women who earn less than their male partners.

The author of the article comments that, for women, more money equals more problems. Is that true? I know many women of my parents generation who have stayed in unhappy marriages because the all too important financial side of life pressured them to. As I mentioned in an earlier post, women's jobs and roles are all too often devalued in our society. Women are also traditionally deemed the caregivers, and women do not want to split up their family and subject children (if they have any) to financial woes. It is damned expensive to provide for a kid. I don't have any but I was one--and I am certain I was crazy expensive! Here, again, gender roles need to be redefined. Women are not naturally good caregivers, and men are not naturally the providers.

My mother has always worked just as hard at her career as my father has. (And come home to cook, clean and take care of us growing up). She has worked passionately her whole life in non-violent education, promoting equal rights for people with disabilities, and k-university level education and development. She also makes a fraction of what my (equally hardworking) father does. He works in "Defense". Contracting, strategizing etc...

In regards to the study, of course the stereotypical questions come up...is the man threatened by his mates success? Does the couple fight more due to the income imbalance?

What about questions about the women? Maybe more money simply equals more stability and security. Maybe without being tied to her husband financially, she is able to assess her relationship, without fearing that she will not be able to make it on her own.

For sure, the topic is complicated and has many levels. Many things no doubt contribute to this social phenomenon.

Does that mean that partnerships where the man makes more money than the woman are more likely to stay together? If yes, what does that imply? That too seems to indicate that money and wealth is associated with men and masculinity. And what if men and women make equal amounts? Consider the results of another study: men and women in partnerships who share equally in household chores report significantly better and more satisfying sex lives. Does it seem logical to assume that partnerships where both earn similar incomes are more satisfied in their relationships? I know I feel much more satisfied being in an equal relationship! It is always an issue if one has more or less education, money, life experiences. I know a strong couple can make it through those inequalities, but maintaining a rewarding relationship is difficult enough, without any addition challenges to work through.

And also...what about gay and lesbian couples? Are they more likely to divorce or separate if one makes more than the other? I wish there was more research for all communities!

1 comment:

  1. do the research julie on gay and lesbian couples! and let me know what you find!

    ReplyDelete