Reflections for myself and you if you are randomly interested...



Monday, July 5, 2010

5 out of 6...

A few years ago I read something in my relationship counseling class that really struck me. This author said that, for a relationship to be worth it, 5 out of every 6 experiences with that person should be positive ones.

My first thought was Wow. That is ridiculous. Who can have 5 out of every 6 experiences be positive? Not realistic at all.

Then I started to think about it some more. Is 4 out of 6 a bit more reasonable? Hmmm... 2/3 is getting dangerously close to half. And what if only half of the experiences with another person are positive? That is pretty pathetic.. at those odds you could practically pick a random person off the street and have as good a chance at having a successful relationship!

Now don't get me wrong, I think you have to work and invest in all your relationships, but so does the other person. I am starting to think the 5 out of 6 idea is not so bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment