Reflections for myself and you if you are randomly interested...



Tuesday, August 17, 2010

If it has to be advertised, you do not need it--Why part II

We are bombarded with an absurd amount of advertisements every day.
All of the ads for cleaning products are geared towards women. Thanks for perpetuating the idea that it is (only) a woman's job to clean. And they always make it look so fun and important... "YAY!!! I am just so happy to stand around my kitchen all day smiling and making it all clean and sterilized in order to be the perfect mom/wife!! Yay!!!"

And beauty products for women. I wish I remember who said this remarkably simple sentiment--if it has to be advertised, you do not need it. Look at what products are thrown at women (often only women). I see dozens and dozens of anti-aging product ads every day. They are ALL geared towards women! Men get older too. We all age...isn't that natural? There is nothing wrong with wanting to look your best, but men and women age at the same rate! Why, in our society, is it so wrong for women to age?

Hollywood showcases this imbalance for all to see. So many movies and shows have a middle aged man as the romantic hero/love interest. He is often wrinkled and aged. Graying hair, weathered skin... All too often, his romantic counterpart is "perfect" and quite a bit younger, with no signs of aging. Never a gray hair (unless it is a romance about a 'woman of a certain age' finding love again), always to be caked in makeup and super slim. Didn't you know ladies? Only women who are dress size 2-6 find true love! Blech.

Makeup. We obviously don't need that. Don't get me wrong, it is fun sometimes. For men and women. But everyday? And so much? Foundation and powder...we already have skin! Sure it makes your skin look closer to perfect, but what the hell are we--dolls? Women are beautiful with all their supposed imperfections. Just as men are with all of theirs. Men break out, get age spots, get sunburned etc... Yet they are not expected to cover those things up with makeup.

And what about the celebrity obsession? Why is that so geared toward women? Are women naturally supposed to care about that crap? I am almost inclined to think that women are to be distracted by all of this shit, to keep them from doing more important things. I don't need to be part of the patriarchal world, because I am just too busy shaving my legs, primping, gossiping and reading celebrity gossip online!
No thank you.

Now, to be clear, I do not think there is necessarily anything wrong with those things, but why not men too? Why anyone at all? I know women are better than that. So are men, for that matter.

2 comments:

  1. You ask all of these questions and make semi-funny assertions... but you never mention why you do and think these very things. Why is it fun for YOU to wear make-up? Why do YOU shave your legs? Why do YOU wear dresses..? To dismiss your habits by saying simply, 'yes I do this' or 'I wear this sometimes' does not give us any insight into your motivations. Why are these things fun for you?

    Your main topics revolve around sexuality, relationship statuses and gender roles; your blog reads more like a moderately empowered Cosmopolitan Magazine than an educated feminist's 'rantings'.

    Actions speak louder than words- I'll settle for at least an explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I am glad you care enough to ask me these good questions. Not that I have to defend myself, but I do not wear makeup. I like dresses because they are comfortable. (men should be able to wear them too, and obviously men in many countries do). As far of my sense of humor--perhaps we differ a bit in that department, and that's fine.

    Society tells us to do all of these things...you are clearly up on your femist concepts. Peforming gender etc... I do what I do because it feels good to me. But I must also acknowledge that I am -from birth- shaped into the person I am today. I just want to be as aware of it as possible, and I want to question why we U.S. Americans spend billions on cosmetics a year when we have people in our country that can't afford food and struggle every day to have their basic needs met. We ALL need to not only question, but ACT on these faults in our society. I am doing this in my own way that exceeds this silly little journal.

    I hope you are too.

    I certainly do not dismiss anything. It makes me sad that even today, in a country that prides itself on 'equality between women and men', we still objectify women in nearly every ad and commercial--using women's bodies to sell anything and everything, we still teach young girls that being cute and sweet is more important than being bright and gutsy. We have a long way to go. So do I. But I am working on it.

    You can be sure of that.

    Thank you again, I appreciate your constructive feedback. It helps me explore the potential of my ideas.

    ReplyDelete